Sunday 17 October 2010

Back up your work

It's obvious isn't it? Your computer crashes, your flash drive ends up in the washing machine, you drop your portable hard disk... But it still happens and all your hard work disappears into cyberspace. So, do regularly back up important work by:


 i) keeping copies of your work on portable media.
ii) e-mailing work to yourself (free services like dropsend are available that will send large files by email).
iii) saving work on the Internet, e.g on GOOGLE docs or other similar web-based services that will store your work for you, and enable you to access it at anytime and any place.

These days, losing data and work will not be accepted as a good excuse or an unfortunate accident, but just viewed as carelessness.

1 comment:

  1. While I was writing my PhD thesis, I sent the last version of the document I was working on to my e-mail.... Plus I saved it on my flashdiscs.

    Only last month, a friend of mine lost a full chapter of her PhD thesis when her computer crashed.... :(((

    ReplyDelete