Monday 18 October 2010

Plagiarism Checking

Many institutions now have advanced plagiarism software and run a standard check on work submitted, particularly at higher levels, e.g. for theses. There are some free plagiarism software programmes available also. One of these is called Plagiarism Checker. If you're worried about something you're working on, you can paste your text into the programme, and it will scan the internet for similarities.

Out of interest, I pasted one of my published articles into the site in the original Word format. Sure enough, it found me out ! At the same time, because it conducts the search on the basis of relatively short phrases, it directed me to some sites and research I wasn't aware of, which was a useful bonus.

Of course, even GOOGLE can perform the same function, so it's sometimes worth self-checking work through such sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment